Tuesday 6 January 2015

Her lullaby


I sing this song to my daughter at least once a day. A whimsy aesthetic is always welcome in a lullaby. I love how the tune calms her 90% of the time. It's like magic, and it works for me too. Singing it repeatedly is a good reminder for me to take things in stride: "Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see." Oh, how I wish it was, yet so many times I'm glad it is not.

I'm grateful to live in the present. Every day I can find a moment that makes me feel so blessed to be here right now, and then time passes into tomorrow. The moments are fleeting, which occasionally brings paralyzing fear and sadness that I will one day forget them all or have future ones taken away from me. I'm relieved that knowledge isn't unfolded to me so I can revel in the sweet smell of my baby, the laughs of my toddler, and the hugs of my husband, every day but especially today. I need those reminders that today matters and not just what I need to do tomorrow or what I want to accomplish in the next ten years. In this case, ignorance is bliss.

Que sera, sera.

No comments:

Post a Comment